Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Visit with Friends

This morning we realized what a celebrity Kate is here in Guangzhou. We went to the “pedestrian street”, a labyrinth of open air markets and mall-type stores. Kate got plenty of attention, and our friend told us that the comments were very consistent: “she looks like a foreigner”, and “she’s pretty.” Our friend was a young girl who approached us about a block from our hotel and asked if she could practice her English with us. We’ve read various things about such encounters; certainly most of them have pure intentions. Well, our friend was very helpful and stayed with us for about 2 hours! Kate warmed up to her quickly, and she eventually carried Kate [which Dawn’s back applauded]. Most Chinese seem to think that Kate is our biological daughter, and are surprised when we tell them that she speaks Mandarin, not English.


Kate was walking more today, and continuing to be more confident to explore new things. She’s acting more like a toddler now, which means she doesn’t want to sit still at dinner [it takes me a long time to fill up eating with chopsticks] , and she likes to leave her mark in the hotel room or store by leaving stuff strewn everywhere. She seems to feel much better after 3 days of meds, although it seems Dawn got some of the bug with some fever & coughing. We are so glad that Kate is showing more of her true self. I convinced her to give me about 3 high-fives today – her first voluntary contact with me. She treats Chinese men the same way, so at least I don’t feel singled out. J

We had a really fun visit today with 2 of our friends who made the trip up from Hong Kong: Ruibin & Tracy were classmates of mine in grad school at Duke. It was great to catch up with them in their homeland and introduce them to Kate. Our reunion had a bit of a “Small World” feel, 8000 miles away from our first meeting, sipping green tea instead of Durham’s finest sweet tea. While chatting about our various jobs, I was reminded how refreshing it has been not having a vibrating Blackberry on me at all times. And the “great firewall of China” blocks us from Facebook and even Blogger [big thanks to my sister Sharon for posting our updates], so we feel quite out of touch. We learned via email that our son Sam rode his first horse [the non-carousel variety] and got his first bee sting today, so he’s making the most of his summer vacation!


8 comments:

  1. Loving the updates, Stephen & Dawn. I can't say I'm surprised Kate is attracting attention...she's absolutely precious! I loved that last photo...perhaps she's trying to crack that firewall you referred to!?
    Much love and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate is lovely. I'm glad she's feeling better and is warming up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! I love reading the posts (when I read Sarah's blog) each day and checking in to see how everyone is doing! I'm so glad Kate is feeling better and can get out and sightsee around! Dawn, I was thinking of you when I mentioned the crackers! Try the saltines if they have them, they can help you feel better. Kate looks so sweet in her yellow dress & her expressions are so toddlerlike! She's a cutie! Thanks for the updates! Lisa;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so pretty! Breath taking pretty! I'm so glad the meds are working for her. And I can hardly wait for Sam to meet her. Sorry about his bee sting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how you were getting stuff to Blogger. I thought, "Man, the Stephen really knows his firewalls."

    I'm really enjoying the posts.

    -- Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate is just beautiful. She also does not seem to have a problem in the light. Lucky!! How is her Nystagmus doing? And does she seem to get around okay. Looks like she has brown eyes and brown/ blonde/redish hair hard to tell sometimes in photos. Mattilyn got a lot of attention and no one believed she was from China and she did not speak any language so that did not help. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blog is wonderful! Keep up the hard work of making the posts! We are so happy for you guys. We have laughed and cried through the posts and so many of the pictures and comments are bringing back memories of our trip. We pray that Kate will continue to open up more each day and bond with both of you. Please say hi to Elvin for us, as he was our guide in Guangzhou as well! Tell him that Jimmy, Stephanie, and Chao Chao say hi (if he has trouble remembering, tell him he arranged for a birthday cake for Stephanie on her birthday while we were there!). Love and blessings, the Pirkles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephen- when I read your comment about the high fives, I had a picture in my head 20 years from now when you are walking your beautiful daughter down the isle on her wedding day and how she will be hesitant to let your hand go because no man will ever love her as much as you. Daddies hold special places in their daughters’ hearts!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete